At the Loundsley Green Fun Day in June people were asked what their top tip was to try to avoid food waste and this is what they said:
- Cook less
- Plan your meals
- Use the freezer as much as possible
- Freeze Bananas in their skins – instant Banana Ice Cream!
- Mash all vegetables and meat left over from Sunday Lunch then fry in butter. Serve with brown sauce
- Make soup out of the stalks of Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Keep Cling Wrap in the fridge as it makes it much easier to find the edge
- Use a shopping list and do not buy food that you do not need; that way you will not waste it
- Store fruit in the fridge except for Bananas and Pineapples
- Grate a big block of cheese then freeze it.
- Store half a pepper in the fridge with the stalk and seeds still in
- Store potatoes out of plastic bags, ideally in a cool dark dry place
- Freeze meat before it reaches its Use By date if you know you will not use it up in time
- Put old carrots or soft celery into a glass of water in the fridge to revive them
What can you do today to create less Food Waste?
Did you know?
- The top three foods that Britons throw away are Bread, Potatoes, and Milk
- 1.4 million Bananas are thrown away each day
- 1.5 million Sausages are thrown away each day
Would you make a meal for 6 then throw it in the bin? Well the average household throws away the equivalent of six meals a week! This costs the average family almost £60 per month!