Local volunteers ran a programme of free IT courses between 2013 & 2018 here at the Loundsley Green Community Centre. These were open to all, ran weekly for eight weeks, and places were available on a first-come first-served basis. They offered both beginner and intermediate classes, which were light-hearted, engaging and social with plenty of one-to-one support.
Beginner Classes – Thursdays 7pm-9pm (Starting every two months)
- Week 1-2: Basics, Starting with a keyboard and mouse.
- Week 3-4: Using the Internet and E-mail safely, Passwords, Dealing with pop-ups
- Week 5-6: Using online searches, public services
- Week 7-8: Using web forms, Job hunting online, CV skills
Intermediate Classes – Wednesdays 7pm-9pm (May-July 2018 – All places now booked)
- Week 1: Windows Operating System overview and navigation
- Week 2: Devices and Gadgets
- Week 3: Social Media (Facebook, Twitter)
- Week 4: Video & Messaging (Skype, YouTube)
- Week 5: Shopping online and staying safe, consumer websites
- Week 6: Make Money Work, Buying and Selling online, price comparison
- Week 7: Working with photos
- Week 8: Creating a Website, Sharing Knowledge
We are hoping to support the provision of IT classes again in the near future. If you would like to register interest in these, please pop into the centre to talk to the community centre manager (Naomi) or email email@example.com to register your interest. We will run classes whenever we have enough demand for them!
If you would like to tutor or help-out in future classes, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always looking to expand classes and offer them on different days and times depending on volunteer availability.
Do you have a spare laptop?
These classes couldn’t take place without kind donations; we have enough for a full class but are at present lacking laptops running Windows 8 or 10. We renovate donations of old laptops by erasing all data and restoring them to their original factory settings. If you have an unwanted working laptop and would like to donate it, please pop in to talk to the centre manager or e-mail email@example.com.